[ExI] for the fermi paradox fans

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 06:17:20 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> These results imply again that future cold intelligences may have fairly
> frequent retracing loops, especially since there may be limits to how long
> a working superposed qubit can be kept in memory.

### I followed your exchange with Robin with great interest. I recently met
an 8-year old boy who became depressed when he found out that our Sun is
about to burn out, and the visible universe will enter a cold, dark night
soon afterwards. So is there hope for us?

By cold intelligences, do you mean very slow minds operating on solid
matter, or computation implemented in loosely bound particles? What are
limits on the number of computations than can be performed with the limited
free energy within out light-cone, assuming no limit on time? Should we
start collecting matter now, impose order on gravitationally bound
galaxies, and hoard them for the coming night? Can we go on forever,
slowing down ever more yet never stopping our journey through computable
states?

Rafal