[ExI] for the fermi paradox fans

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 04:04:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Basically, I think this points towards external rational adversaries being
> relatively manageable. Singleton civilizations also prevent internal
> adversaries. The problem is the case where irrational adversaries are
> around (burning cosmic commons, the google-prime calculator), the case of
> utility functions that depend on each other (zorgons love to simulate
> humans in agony; our utility is decreased by theirs), and non-singleton
> civilizations where internal adversaries evolve. Have I missed anything?

### Long term storage of mass is tricky - you want to avoid formation of
stars and black holes, so you can't make it too dense but you don't want
the expansion to rip stuff away, so you have to make it dense enough - and
of course, higher density means shorter communication lines for your
computations. But this matter soup might be an ideal broth for space grey
goo. An external or internal adversary with high time preference might be
hard to resist. Grey goo's rationality is starkly at odds with maximizing
computational capacity of the lightcone.

Rafal