[ExI] ants again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jun 21 22:09:51 UTC 2014

It depends on the species of ant. Some small black ants are too small to

bite or sting humans. Like the sugar ants that are common in homes. But

don't try interfering with fire ants!  BillK

Thanks BillK.  This particular species has a bite, but not a particularly
sincere one, nothing like a fire ant, which has both a bite and a bad sting.
I don't think these guys have a sting.  I may be wrong, but my previous
experimentation with them got me a few half-hearted bites and no stings, or
if they have stings, their venom is incompetent.

Fire ants will participate in wars.  My notion is to see if this can be
replicated with fire ants.  I am from the south, so I know fire ants, and I
do this experiment with some trepidation.  Those guys are appropriately
named: their stings burn like fire.  I might try to find a fire-ant war and
reproduce the experiment.