[ExI] blue screen = hard disk crash?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jun 29 20:14:24 UTC 2014

If I mysteriously disappear or suffer a puzzling and tragic freak IRS audit, you know what happened to me.

Spike quoted:

“Lerner walked into her office one day and her computer screen was blue. Her hard drive had crashed.”  Atty. Taylor

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:36 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

>…That is a lawyer talking. You need to ask the tech support guy what really happened…  BillK

Former Director Lerner’s attorney has now apparently contradicted himself with today’s statement, differing from the previous comment in a subtle but perhaps important way:

"She walked into the office one day and her screen went blue," said Taylor. "She asked for help in restoring it and the IT people came and attempted to restore it."

There is a difference here: in one case she walked in and the screen was already blue, having crashed while she was out, and she presumed a hard disk failure took all the critical evidence on it.  In the second comment, it sounds like she walked in and then the screen went blue, at which time she immediately called for help from the IT people.  If I understand disk crashes, if the read head conks, a sector is destroyed but most of data is still there and is recoverable.  Since the IRS is required by law to archive everything, then the IT people would be tasked with recovering all the data that is retrievable on the disk, which should be most of it.

But something occurred to me.  If the IRS director called the IT people, she obeyed the letter of the law.  If the IT person immediately degaussed the disk then attempted to recover the entire erased disk, it isn’t entirely clear to me that the IT person has violated the letter of the law.  It may not actually say it is illegal to destroy the information on the disk before attempting to recover it.  The requirement against spoliation of evidence would not necessarily apply to the IT person.  They would be required to recover all retrievable data, but I don’t know that the law would forbid that IT person from erasing everything, then attempting to recover the nothing that is on that disk.

If Director Lerner gave spoken orders only with no trace of record to the IT person to make sure nothing is recoverable on that disk before attempting to recover the data, then the IT person followed the orders to attempt to recover the data.  Same with the other six disks which crashed about that time.

If arbitrary power exists in one bureaucracy, why not the others?  Why shouldn’t the EPA, NSA or any other bureaucracy also get to have arbitrary unaccountable power?  Where does the law say anywhere the other envious and power-hungry bureaucracies can’t come after anyone they want for any reason, without bothering to have congress pass laws or consult the constitution?

Director Lerner cannot be called to testify: she is protected by the fifth amendment which allows a defendant to refuse to testify against herself.  She has been held in contempt of congress but what difference at this point does that make?  (Hint: none.)  If all the evidence has been destroyed, even if intentionally in a most transparent manner, the IRS director walks, and it is an example of unaccountable and arbitrary power.  This is the exact phenomenon that the US constitution was carefully designed to eliminate.  The US constitution was functionally repealed on 3 February 1913, and we are living in a dictatorship, allowed to continue our free existence only at the regal whim of whoever runs the IRS.

spike