[ExI] AI extinction risk

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 14:11:39 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Anders Sandberg  wrote:
> Which is of course not a good description, given how the income of wealth of
> the developing world has been growing over the past decades. Check Rosling's
> graphs.

Can I nitpick?  :)  Of course it is a generalization. But don't
confuse the growing wealth and income of the developing world with the
conditions of the factory slaves. The Chinese millionaires we see
touring the West and buying up property do not work in factory
production lines, sweat shops or labour camps.

The western shift of production to cheap labour countries has indeed
created large local companies with rich owners, which in turn
increases the GDP of these countries.  But developing nations tend to
have great income inequality and official corruption, which also
doesn't much benefit the workers at the bottom of the heap. If these
workers didn't provide very cheap labour, then their production jobs
for western companies would disappear. (Or get replaced by robots, as
Foxconn has suggested).

BillK