[ExI] MH370

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Mar 26 14:52:36 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:07 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] MH370

The best explanation I've heard thus far is this one. It's simple and
believable.

http://www.businessinsider.com/malaysia-plane-fire-2014-3

-Kelly

An onboard fire is what I thought too.  It would explain the climb: the
pilots hoped to put it out by getting above most of the oxygen.  Yesterday I
heard for the first time they had in the cargo hold a bunch of lithium
batteries.  If a lithium battery hermetic seal fails, lithium is exposed to
air, catches fire, chain reaction fire by causing the adjacent seal to fail
and getting it burning too, no stopping it, not even by climbing.

Here's an instructive example of a lithium battery chain reaction fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pphr7WyNBWU