[ExI] hard science

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat May 3 00:51:56 UTC 2014

Taking things further - and later on, I imagine -, neural interfaces would
be useful in the process of 'gradual uploading', where rather than
replacing parts of the brain, or 'scanning' it, which are the usual
uploading ideas, we instead expand the mind into non-biological brain
machinery over a period of time, so that eventually the original biological
brain becomes only a small (and ultimately redundant) part of what produces
the mind.  At some point, you'd be able to ditch the original brain without
even noticing it.

So we all have the Superman fantasy:  better body, better brain, etc.
Everything I know about psychology says this will happen:  it will become
the new normal.  We will adjust to it and be no happier than when we
started.  It's sort of like heroin addiction - even money.  $75k is the
upper limit of what makes people happy.  Above that there is no improvement
in happiness.  Fact.bill w