[ExI] dna ethics question

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:56:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> > Whoever is trying to maintain privacy in the 21st century is fighting a
> > losing battle.  Eventually all DNA will be obtained at the hospital where
> > you were born (my prediction, anyhow).  I think this is a case of only
> > criminals could object to use of DNA to find them/convict them.
> >

> The trouble with that is that in the modern state everyone is a
> criminal. You can't leave the house without breaking many laws during
> the course of the day. Add in surveillance and you could be arrested
> anytime you offend officialdom. Obviously everyone won't be arrested.
> It is sufficient to be able to arrest anyone at any time. And for the
> population to be made aware of that and avoid causing offence to t'
> guvmnt.
>
> BillK

​It might interest you to know that I am a libertarian(!).  You are
essentially correct, and in the hands of an authoritarian police state,
having everyone's DNA could lead to incredible disaster.  I don't know how
it will sort itself out, but keeping your DNA private is impossible.  A spy
picks up your glass at Applebee's just after you've left.  Or a million
other ways.  DNA will be (and already is) useful, even essential, for
health professionals and who can't hack into those databases?​

​ bill w​