[ExI] cool! locals create circuit board modeled on the human brain

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon May 5 20:45:20 UTC 2014

On May 5, 2014 12:45 PM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> I don’t understand the grip Minecraft has on this generation.  They seem
to writhe helplessly in its relentless grip.  Have we any Minecraft players
present who can explain please?

Yo.  (I haven't played Minecraft itself, but I have played similar games
and know the culture.)

You have it mostly backward.  They are the ones who have Minecraft in their
grip.  It's about making stuff, shaping the world, far more easily and
faster than one might shape the real world.

It's not unlike painting in 3D, in the guise of a video game.

You might consider getting a low end 3D printer and letting your son play
around with it.  You might want to try it out too...and do try some
Minecraft, just so long as you don't overwrite your son's saves.  Or just
google on "epic minecraft videos" to start getting a sense of the appeal,
but I think for you actually trying it might be better.  Get to at least
having an iron axe and/or iron pickaxe that you built (not just found or
bought).

(Do not make the very common mistake, by people your age, of giving up at
the first slight difficulty/unfamiliarity and assuming there must be
nothing worthy beyond it.  Nor make the mistake of believing it to be
culturally trash just because it does not ape the patterns you are familiar
with...at least, not when that familiarity dates from your own youth, and
that is ultimately the only reason you value it.)