[ExI] puzzle - animal consciousness

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:50:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM, spike wrote:
<snip>
> This is a transhumanist list, but humanity will likely simulate simple
> brains before we manage to sim complex ones.  So transdogism will likely be
> a useful tool in the transhumanism movement.  So, I declare all dog
> experiments as fair game for posting here.  If you see examples of your dog
> reasoning or failing spectacularly to reason, do post it please.

I have just seen a home video on tv. A few treats were scattered in
the middle of a kitchen table. A big dog stood up on his hind legs and
reached one paw to the treats and pulled all except one towards him
and ate them. He tried several times to reach the remaining treat in
the middle of the table, but just missed. So he got down and trotted
round to the other side of the table, stood up and stretched out his
paw again. He tried several times to reach it, then finally just
knocked towards the far side of the table. Then he got down again,
trotted round the table again. stood up and snaffled the final treat.
Good work!

BillK