[ExI] Big Data Visualization

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed May 21 12:10:07 UTC 2014

William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> , 20/5/2014 8:39 PM:
I know people think of 'steep' as difficult, but with learning curves it is not so.  I dunno how this misconception got out there, but it's very difficult to get rid of, like the 'vaccines cause disease' one.
Please help get rid of this cliche'.  I taught Learning for 35 years and this is driving me crazy!  It's worse than the misconception of negative reinforcement as punishment.

Amen to that! When I wrote the original post I noted that I was using the term in the standard, wrong way. But I felt it was more important to get the main idea across than try to explain the issue. Maybe I was wrong about that. Saying "difficult learning curve" might be a decent substitution.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University