[ExI] Be nice to leftists

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri May 23 19:47:22 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2014 12:24 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Be nice to leftists

Practically speaking, you are, of course, right.  Harken back to what I said about the people here.  …  Yes, it's a democracy, of sorts, but I don't have to like it…  bill w

BillW, you are the one who chooses to live in Mississippi, me lad.  (Note: all men, regardless of age, are lads.  All due respect intended.  All women are lasses.)

The beauty of the United States lies in the design of our republic.  We get all these competing governments, each doing things their own way, creating a laboratory for government.  Competition breeds excellence.  The people can move into the one they feel is working best.

A solution suggests itself.  Perhaps a loose coalition of nations could form which have a similar outlook on government; example, USA, Canada, Australia, England, Sweden, Denmark, Germany.  Then treat those as scaled up-versions of our states: any citizen of any of those countries can freely immigrate to any other, understanding that the legal system varies somewhat between them.  Pension obligations would be transferred from the country of origin and place where the pensions were earned.

Everyone in the super-republic would understand that if you come to the USA, you can have guns, some crimes are punishable by death, and the healthcare system is broken.  In England, you can’t have guns, the constables are nice, and the healthcare system is broken.  In Sweden, the women are beautiful, the food is bland, and the healthcare system is broken, etc.  Then we get the federal governments working under market pressures, competition breeds excellence.

BillW, if you pine for higher taxes, do come to California.  That will cure you, pal.

{8-]