[ExI] chemo-preservation and fund raising

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun May 25 15:40:34 UTC 2014

Greetings Extropians,

I have a post in the moderators box from a non-subscriber which has puzzled
me, so I will open it for discussion and an invitation for advise your
humble servant the list moderator.

Short version: an aged mother was a cryonics enthusiast but had not funding
for it.  She perished in December, so the survivors talked the funeral home
into chemo-preserving the brain, whatever that means.  Formaldehyde?  The
poster (a friend the son of the deceased) is passing the hat to collect
funding to have the brain cryo-preserved.

Question please: do we want that kind of material being posted to ExI?

Note: there is nothing inherently offensive or against our posting
guidelines.  It is entirely a matter of taste and what kind of content we
choose to have on ExI-chat.  When I say we, I don't mean the royal "we" as
in "me" but rather I mean all of us, you included.  Assuming you are of
noble birth of course.

I have a suggestion if we decide to allow those posts: in order to decrease
the risk of scams, we should set up an escrow account controlled by the
cryo-preservation organization but not by the family of the deceased.  Then
if they fail to raise sufficient funds, the money goes back to the donors,
or into a pool for such cases if the donors are willing (sort of a macabre
version of the worthy-student fund, but rather than giving the worthy a
college scholarship, you hurl their remains into a vat of liquid nitrogen.)
Reasoning: if they get a couple thousand bucks and decide it is a no-go, I
don't see having the family of the deceased collect that cash.

What do we do now, coach?