[ExI] chemo-preservation and fund raising

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun May 25 16:32:09 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK
Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2014 9:18 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] chemo-preservation and fund raising

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 4:40 PM, spike wrote:
> Short version: an aged mother was a cryonics enthusiast but had not
> funding for it...
>
> Question please: do we want that kind of material being posted to ExI?
>

>...I see no problem with a single post asking for charitable donations with
a link for further info if required. A fund-raising campaign with a stream
of posts would become tiresome though.
>...In this particular case I would like a cryonics expert to investigate
the chemical preservation first. The preserved brain may be so badly damaged
that cryo preservation would be pointless anyway...BillK

Thanks BillK, these are close to my own thoughts on that matter.  ExI is
probably not a good place to put these kinds of efforts, but there are
specialized cryonics groups I might recommend we refer them.  We don't want
to attract that class of posts I wouldn't think.  Perhaps most of us here
have a grandparent or two they would like to cryo-preserve, but I don't see
passing the hat on ExI-chat.

If chemo-preservation worked that would be great; far cheaper than cryonics.
The procedure would be a lot more common I would think if there was any
reason to believe it has promise.  Granted it might be a little
disconcerting to relatives and visitors.  I suppose it might fit in,
depending on one's notions on décor and eclectic taste, but even my
stillborn sense of aesthetics suggests to the contrary.   Rather than an urn
of ashes on the mantle, there would be a jar of formaldehyde with grandpa's
brain.