[ExI] nick's book being sold by fox news

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 17:39:44 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014  Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The fact that the Halting Problem shows that there is no general way of
>> solving certain large problem classes doesn't tell us anything about the
>> *practical* unworkability of top level goals.
>>

> > It seems kind of remote to apply halting to an AI that was interacting
> with the real world.  We don't run into that problem

You've never wanted to solve a problem but made no apparent progress and so
decided to switch your attention to a different problem?

> > and we have vast numbers of systems that just wait till something
> happens (like a keystroke).

Well yes, the AI could just sit there and do nothing as if the power
connection to it were cut and then the AI would never disobey and never get
bored, but it will never do anything else either. So why bother building
it?

  John K Clark