[ExI] Fermi Paradox and GRB bursts

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Oct 2 12:28:58 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2014 2:07 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Fermi Paradox and GRB bursts

Yes, I have read the paper and still remain unconvinced. Destroy the ozone layer and the land biosphere is in trouble. But do you really think that will wipe out fish all the way to the bottom of the Marianas trench? Their conclusion is not compatible with other papers on GRB damage I have read.

Anders Sandberg/

A little bit of water will stop gamma rays, and of course rocks will too.  Even if a nearby GRB managed to destroy the ozone layer and slay all the life on land, much if not most of the biodiversity of the planet would still be with us.  Depending on how you define the term “us.”  spike