[ExI] Strong AI Hypothesis: logically flawed

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 13:58:03 UTC 2014

 Even when you go to the hospital and undergo anesthesia your consciousness
remains continuous  John Clark

I don't know of anyone who would agree that one remains aware of his
surroundings while under anesthesia, unless there are definitions of
consciousness of which I am unaware.  (Under ether for an appendectomy when
it was 1951 I had wild dreams the whole time.  Since then nothing.)

​I don't give a hoot in hell about my cells, it's my consciousness that I
want to continue.  JC

Now we have the nub, I think. I am a physical monist, so if there are no
cells there is no consciousness.  You sound like a dualist who thinks that
consciousness is not a physical thing.  If so we are arguing at cross
purposes.
Do you think you'd be conscious inside a hard drive?  Conscious of what?
Certainly no senses.  Just your thoughts?

Earlier someone said that if something is not impossible then it's
possible.  Well, I would like to qualify that:  If something is not
impossible according to what we know now, then it could be possible
​, depending on what future science discovers, which might be that it is
impossible.​

​bill w​

.