[ExI] Signature of Majorana particles?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 03:08:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.nature.com/news/new-particle-is-both-matter-and-antimatter-1.16074
> > There seems to be an unsubstantiated jump here.  Just because two
> electrons coordinate their spins, how does that make them into positrons?

Nobody said they were positrons, they would be there own antiparticle,
something that is not true for matter nor for antimater, they would not be
fermions or bosons either, they would be something new , a entirely new
class of particle. If this discovery is confirmed it could be huge!!

The reason it's so hard to make a Quantum Computer is that they are so
delicate, the slightest disturbance will cause quantum decoherence, but
these particles would be inherently far less susceptible to decoherence.
They're so rugged you could use then to make a practical large scale
Quantum Computer, and that will change the world as much as Nanotechnology!

We already know that if you can get the errors caused by decoherence below
a certain constant value you could use quantum error correction codes to
make quantum calculation of arbitrarily large size, but with regular matter
we can't get below that threshold, but if these new particles are real we
almost certainly can.

  John K Clark