[ExI] 23andME - Company issues: privacy

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Oct 15 22:04:46 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of natasha at natasha.cc
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:59 PM
To: 'ExI chat list'
Subject: Re: [ExI] 23andME - Company issues: privacy

Hi spike!

I have been a member of 23andMe for a number of years, but I just wanted to
ask because a student of mine is investigating their corporate efficacy and
integrity, after the FDA issue and he is concerned about privacy.

All my best!

Natasha

Ja OK.  I would suggest advising anyone concerned with privacy to not tell
any DNA service who the heck you are ever.  When in doubt leave it out.  The
hackers are diabolically clever.  23andMe asks for a name associated with
the sample, but there is no requirement that it be the name of the owner of
the DNA, any name will do.  I rather like Rhizopus Stolonifer.  It has a
dignified, noble sound.