[ExI] Calculus Without Derivatives

Michael Roberts mike at 7f.com
Wed Oct 15 20:33:43 UTC 2014

> Ever more to play around with here. Don't things usually progress from new
> discoveries and methods that are clunky/unnatural to ones that seem less
> intuitive at first, but easier and, in the end, more natural/intuitive?
> Maybe I'm overgeneralizing. There's also a difference between what's taught
> to undergrads at one time versus later because, I think, "newer" ideas just
> take time to work their way from the bleeding edge to the textbook. At
> least, this is my impression, FWIW.
> Dan

In general I like the book's approach - of reducing something to a
nested set of implemented functions, subdividing the knowledge into
functional pieces, both as an aid to understanding it, but also
potentially as a way of getting traction on a subject which might seem
difficult to approach as a whole.  But I guess that is at the heart of
the western method, and the premise of reduction to code an extension
of that approach.