[ExI] Lockheed skunkworks announcement about fusion

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Oct 18 17:14:38 UTC 2014

Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> , 18/10/2014 2:28 PM:

Anders wrote:
"Nonono, that is another, far more suspicious claim! That is the cold
fusion Italian guy Andrea Rossi's E-Cat. And the elforsk results are
generally regarded as suspicious; "

Why are Elforsk results generally regarded as suspicious?
Do they are heavily staffed with employees from Naples' Scampia?
Do the people working there known incompetents and fools?
Elforsk is an OK industry think tank, but this is paid consultancy work. The problem is that they are just doing what Rossi et al. ask them to do, not a free investigation.
If I was proposing the E-cat for real, I would have them sign a NDA and let them investigate it to their hearts content in order to show that there was nothing to hide. I would have given them the blueprint and aksed them to put together a copy and test it. I would have hired a (prepaid) stage magician or expert on past perpetual motion frauds to investigate - and carefully have kept away from the investigation.
At least people who think (like Pons and Fleischman) they have a working device will be eager to let others tinker with it, in the hope of reputable and verifiable experimental replication. People who try to prevent independent replication, even with reasonable sounding excuses, are very suspect.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University