[ExI] 23andME - Company issues: privacy

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Oct 19 16:13:08 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: [ExI] 23andME - Company issues: privacy

On Oct 19, 2014 7:40 AM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>>… We have a known-corrupt government with a medical bureaucracy (which does not answer
> directly to the voters (and which recently insisted that ebola cannot be
> airborne)) claiming it has broad authority to regulate what an
> internet-based service may tell you, even if that service is run by
> volunteers and charges nothing.  If that isn't first amendment territory, I do not understand the first
> amendment.

>…That is shouting fire in a crowded theater territory.  The First Amendment never gave an absolute right to say anything at any time…

Indeed sir?  So the first amendment assures that citizens have the right to free speech unless of course they say something to which the government disagrees?  Who gets to say what is allowed speech and what is not?  Shall we appoint a “Free” Speech Czar?

>…Though I do wish they would use this same power to go after those who spread misinformation about vaccines to the point that vaccine refusal has become a public health problem in some areas…

Indeed sir?  I agree that harmful misinformation is spread regarding vaccines, but I disagree that spreading that misinformation is illegal.  That too is covered under first amendment rights.  Otherwise it would be illegal for the government to tell us that if we like our health plan we can keep our health plan (period end of story, 34 times on record.)  It would be illegal for our own government to tell us that the murders of US personnel in Benghazi was the result of an internet video, that Bowe Bergdahl served his country with distinction, that ebola cannot go airborne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZxrE6orp2A

That comment seems self-contradictory to me.

http://www.lanl.gov/science/1663/images/sneeze.jpg

The white stuff in this photo is a bodily fluid and it is in the air.  Ebola gets in all the bodily fluids.  That big white aerosol cloud in the photo would contain viruses if the sneezer is infected.  If a virus can be spread by bodily fluids, and saliva is a bodily fluid, and saliva goes airborne every time a person sneezes, and anyone in the area inhales that aerosol, then the viruses in those droplets enter the bystanders lungs and throat.  We can scarcely imagine a more optimal surface for a virus to land: nasal tissues, the throat, the bronchioles, the alveoli, all of which are well protected, moist, highly vascular tissues, a playground for bacteria and viruses.  Please, where did I go wrong in that line of reasoning?

We are told by the like-your-doctor-keep-your-doctor president that we cannot catch ebola by sitting next to someone on a bus.  (Do we get a Period End of Story on that?)  Unless of course the person next to you sneezes and you happen to breathe  (PEoS).  But other than that, PEoS.  Oh and that like-your-plan-keep-your-plan story: that was PEoS comma unless your plan doesn’t conform to our rules, PEoS.  So get on the bus, citizen.

Please, how in the hell can we be so DEAD certain sneezing is not an ebola vector?  Doctor Rafal Smigrodzki, do educate us please, sir.

Adrian I agree that medical misinformation is harmful to individuals and to public health.  But information, even the false and harmful variety, is covered under the first amendment.  If the government gets to decide what information is covered under the first amendment and which is not, there is no point in having a first amendment; it doesn’t do anything.  Understatement, the first amendment itself becomes harmful misinformation.  It becomes self-contradictory, assuring citizens a right while handing the government the authority to decide the circumstances under which a citizen really has that right, along with the right to arbitrarily prosecute after the fact.