[ExI] Tambora

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 13:59:36 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Keith Henson  wrote:
> I want to recommend a book.
> Tambora: The Eruption That Changed the World
> by Gillen D'Arcy Wood
<snip>
> It is worth reading an thinking about what a global weather upset will
> do to the current world.  Actually, you can make a case that the
> current mess in the mid east is due to a drought in Syria and other
> places which has driven up to cost of food.

So far as I can see that 3 year climate upset didn't cause any wars.
Famines, food riots and looting did occur as starving people struggled
to survive. But civilisation didn't break down and nations didn't
invade their neighbours.

Humans killing each other is a pretty constant occurrence. Even if
some claim that there is less killing nowadays, I think it depends on
how and what you count (and who does the counting).

I think the sea level rise will be the main disruptor in future years.
People will be forced to move and invade their neighbours as their
cities go underwater.

BillK