[ExI] The Future of Car Insurance

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Sep 10 04:48:49 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
Subject: [ExI] The Future of Car Insurance

Sorry for my recent silences. I've developed an addiction to food and shelter.

I have heard addicts called junkies, and I have heard of foodies.  But I don’t know of shelteries.

I saw an advertisement yesterday that postulated that autonomous vehicles spell the end to the automobile insurance business as we know it. Sounds fairly plausible to me. Anyone have anything they would like to say on this subject? Are Allstate and Geico going the way of the wooden shoe makers?

-Kelly

Kelly on the contrary sir.  The car insurance companies will have a great time with autonomobiles.  Insurance companies sell you the perceived risk while buying the actual risk.  They know the spread, and they make plenty of money on it.  Anything that introduces a lot of unknowns (to you, not to them) increases the spread and their profit.  We knew the health insurance companies would profit mightily with ObamaCare, regardless of how it played out.  We were right.  Car insurance companies will make out like bandits with the coming innovations, even if they need to create the perceived risk by arranging for unemployed taxi and truck drivers intentionally crashing the robo-cars.  Do not worry, they will screw us.