[ExI] Makes me wonder...

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Sep 14 22:55:23 UTC 2014

William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> , 14/9/2014 6:40 PM:Before 1950 studies were done where rats learned to run a maze, then had some brains removed.  Turned out that it did not matter what part they removed, only how much (bet they didn't remove the hippocampus, though.)
You are probably thinking of Lashley's old experiments where he was looking for the engram. http://psych.stanford.edu/~jlm/pdfs/Lashley50Engram.pdfhttp://www.intropsych.com/ch06_memory/lashleys_research.htmlOf course, the problem here was that maze running is polymodal and I do think the hippcampus was never touched. But it demonstrated that the cortex is pretty resilient and has redundancy, and provided the original claim for the "We only use 10% of our brain" factoid.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University