[ExI] rain "bow" was RE: Brains grow and shrink like 'rainbows' as we age

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Sep 23 17:09:22 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of BillK
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:04 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] rain "bow" was RE: Brains grow and shrink like 'rainbows'
as we age

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 5:27 PM, spike wrote:
> Furthermore, why do we call it a rainbow?  You never saw one shaped
> like a bow, did ya?  ...
>
> So why don't we call it a rain arc, or a rain parabola, or perhaps a
> rain y=-x^2 or something?
>

>That's exactly what they did! :)

>The word comes from from Proto-Germanic *regnabugô ("rainbow"), equivalent
to rain + bow ("arch").
'bow' originally meant any curved shape. like an arch or early simple bows.

>BillK

Ja, well I still like the term rain (a)y = -x^2 + b.  Then you would have
the coordinates of the pots of gold.  I don't know if there are two pots or
only one, but with current gold prices, one would likely suffice.