[ExI] Strong AI Hypothesis: logically flawed?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 16:14:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 1:23 AM, Dan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

> John, regarding physicalism, you might want to read this:
>
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/physicalism/

The very first words of this is "Physicalism is the thesis that everything
is physical", this was obviously written by a philosopher of mind which
explains its uselessness. Now if it had said "all nouns are made of matter"
I would have kept reading, if it had then said that matter is made of
Bosons and Fermions or if it had said that matter is everything except for
information I would have kept reading, but it didn't so I won't. I love
philosophy but philosophers no longer do philosophy, scientists and
mathematicians do.

> Also, physicalism isn't trivial by way of being empty -- any more than
> Ancient Greek atomism was similarly empty.

I think the ancient Greeks got more credit than they deserved for coming up
with atomism, after all substances are either infinitely divisible or they
aren't, Democritus said they aren't and Aristotle said they are. One said
things were continuous and one said things were not, one of them had to be
right although neither had a scrap of experimental evidence to support his
guess.

  John K Clark