[ExI] Fwd: Strong AI Hypothesis: logically flawed?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 23:17:58 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Stathis Papaioannou* <stathisp at gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, September 27, 2014
Subject: [ExI] Strong AI Hypothesis: logically flawed?
To: Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com>

On Saturday, September 27, 2014, Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','dan_ust at yahoo.com');>> wrote:

> On Friday, September 26, 2014 7:41 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <
> stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Possibility implies necessity if all possible worlds exist.
>
> A big and controversial "if" which I do not think is necessary to bring
> into this discussion to refute Jeff's view.

I didn't read the original discussion, but it is trivially obvious that
possibility implies necessity only if all possibilities are realised. And
note that a multiverse could take many forms, including a single universe
of infinite spatial extent.

> > This has interesting implications. For example, if being raised from
> cryinic sleep
> > has only a 1/10^100 probability, then in a multiverse where all
> possibilities are
> > realised you will definitely find yourself waking from cryinic sleep.
>

> This presumes that you are identical with each instance of you. Another
> controversial view, even within possible worlds interpretations of
> modality. After all, it could be that you are simply the instance here in
> this world now and maybe you won't be revived while is some "modally"
> distant world the version of you there will be, but this is little
> different than you have a twin now who happens to outlive you. Not the same
> as you outliving your own death, no?

I've heard this "the copy may survive but it won't be me" objection many
times but it is wrong. If it were not wrong, then you should be upset to
learn that over the course of months almost all the atoms in your body are
replaced by different atoms, since it would mean that the original you will
die and in your place will be a copy with the delusional belief that he is
you.

Regards,

--
Stathis Papaioannou