[ExI] . Re: addiction

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:34:29 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 5:00 AM,  William Flynn Wallace
<foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think people are going to get very far with understanding
>> addiction until they understand why human (some at least) can be
>> addicted at all.
>>
> It is difficult to see how this behavior could in any way help an animal to
> survive and breed.
>
> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> Evolution has not had long enough to act on addiction, which is a
> maladaptive hijacking of a physiological system.

Let me supply a hint.  Every characteristic in living things is the
result of positive selection unless it is a side effect of something
that is (or was) under positive selection.

Which is the capacity to be addicted?  Direct or a side effect?

Keith