[ExI] Dementia

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 05:02:39 UTC 2015

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Jason Resch <jasonresch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd highly recommend people read "Grain Brain
> <http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/grain-brain-by-david-perlmutter/>" if
> they're interested in what really might be behind the sharp rise and
> earlier onsets of dementia and Alzheimer's Disease.

### Can you point to some research data? As far as I know there has been a
steady decline in age-adjusted incidence of dementia in the US over the
last 30 years or so.
-------------

> Good Calories Bad Calories is also quite illuminating, and shows that many
> diseases (heart disease, many cancers, dementia) are based on the high
> amounts of sugar and refined carbohydrates in the modern diet.
> Increasingly, Alzheimer's is considered a "diabetes of the brain", and is
> linked to the brain's reduced capacity to absorb glucose. Fortunately,
> there are two fuels the brain is capable of processing, glucose and ketone
> bodies.  Ketone bodies are normally only produced during starvation or
> diets with highly restricted carbohydrate intake, however, some foods, such
> as goat milk and coconut oil contain medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). The
> liver processes MCTs into ketone bodies directly. The physician Mary
> Newport <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feyydeMFWy4> successfully used
> coconut oil to treat her husbands pre-senile dementia and many reviewers
> on Amazon.com
> <http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-100-32-Fluid-Ounces/product-reviews/B0019LRY8A/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewopt_srt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=helpful&reviewerType=all_reviews&formatType=all_formats&filterByStar=all_stars&pageNumber=1>
> claim the same.

### You may try Axxona, an MCT preparation approved by the FDA for
treatment of AD. Beware of side effects in the form of diarrhea - the
dosing must be escalated slowly.

Rafał