[ExI] Virtual Reality is where the aliens are (spike)

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Aug 24 16:11:02 UTC 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Keith Henson

>>... The reason I focus on your comment is not to strain at gnats BillK,
> but rather because I have really been pondering how to calculate
> temperature gradients in an MBrain using entropy.

>...  But I suspect that on a large scale, you can't do better than whatever
limit is set by computer sandwiched between a sunlight converter surface and
a radiator.

Ja.  The notion of required low-entropy energy reflection is based on an
assumption of passive cooling only, with no fluid flow heat transfer.
Robert never liked that idea, for he was a big fan of (or believer in)
strong nanotech.  I would like to accept the notion, but I had in mind a
device which could produce MBrain nodes using current or almost current
technology.  If Skylon flies, we could start launching them in our
lifetimes.

Robert might argue that the MBrain concept depends on strong nanotech and
perhaps strong AI, but I have envisioned an MBrain concept which could
predate both, or could exist even if some unknown-unknown makes strong AI
and strong nanotech impossible.

>...I wonder if it would be useful to set up a Skype chat room to discuss
these problems?  Keith

Perhaps, but having everything in text has its advantages too.