[ExI] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Virtual Reality is where the aliens are

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Aug 28 00:55:40 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
…
>>… On the contrary, do invent dimensions, if the notion explains some observed phenomenon.

>…Is it still ok if it is to explain un-observed phenomenon ... or observed non-phenomenon. :)

Hmmm, that is a bit close to improper procedure.  A bit too religioney for my taste.  {8^D  However, in the particular case of Fermi’s Paradox, I am flat desperate.

>>… Edwin Abbott was brilliant.

>…You probably could read the book in about as much time as watch: http://www.flatlandthemovie.com/ - however the movie does a good of preserving the intent while updating some of the obsolete social commentary.

The political incorrectness of the original is part of its charm.  Even my bride has sufficient sense of humor to appreciate the flagrant (apparent) sexist and classist views of Abbott.  It gives us a view of how far society has come, ja?  There is another dimension as well ({8^D): Abbott was writing parody within parody, ridiculing the sexism and classism of his day and place.