[ExI] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Virtual Reality is where the aliens are

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Thu Aug 27 16:33:57 UTC 2015

I read Flatland for the first time in fourth grade. I was so enamored of the cool idea of multiple dimensions, that when we had an English assignment to “describe an alien,” I made my alien from the forth dimension. It appeared as several seemingly distinct yet shifting 3D forms in our space, but they were all connected in a way the human couldn’t see in hyperspace. A pretty straight-forward application of the concepts in Flatland, but apparently my fourth grade teacher had never read this book, and couldn’t comprehend what I was talking about. He tried to flunk me on the assignment because I was supposed to only describe “one” alien, not several. I kept trying to explain that in hyperspace, it was a single creature…. sigh.

Later, of course, looking back on it, I realized that the teacher just wanted us to practice using descriptive adjectives and adverbs, not to actually hypothesize about alien lifeforms, never mind hyperspace. But how was I supposed to know that as a forth grader? I took the assignment at face value!

Tara Maya
Blog  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Amazon  |  Goodreads