[ExI] Old Nutrition Studies

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 08:45:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Brian Manning Delaney <
listsb at infinitefaculty.org> wrote:

> El 2015-08-26 a las 17:50, William Flynn Wallace escribió:
>
> ​I'll answer that:  P.W. Piri-Tarino, etc.  "Meta analysis of
>> Prospective Cohort studies​
>> ​Evaluating the Association of Saturated Fat with Cardiovascular
>> Disease."  American Journal of clinical Nutrition 91, no.3 March 2010
>> 535-46  340,000 Ss, 21 studies
>>

> Take a look at the Medline entry for that study, and look at the comments,
> as well as -- if you have time; there are 21 -- the reviews among the 70
> citing papers:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648
>
> I wouldn't base my dietary choices on the conclusions reached.

The U.S. government's recommendations for the American people to change
their diets and avoid saturated fat and dietary cholesterol was based on
essentially no evidence at all: one scientist's hypothesis, never confirmed
or tested, but nonetheless, used as the basis for nutritional advice for
the past 40 years.

> I'm not saying dietary SFA is evil; rather: we don't know. If I had to
> guess I'd say one would be better off with complex carbs and lots of MUFA
> and some PUFA.

Based on what evidence?

> (It's also likely that SFA is a problem only above a certain chain
> length.)

Why do you think so?

Jason

Can't wait until we have richer computer models of human physiology and can