[ExI] Man’s Greatest Achievement – Nikola Tesla on Akashic engineering and the future of humanity

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Dec 3 11:16:54 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-03 09:46, Giulio Prisco wrote:
> Anders, you philosophers are really hair-splitters.
I take that as a compliment. But I understand what you are saying: why
care? Because we are talking about ultimate, important things. If we are
not as careful with them as we are with mere medicines, explosives or
stock markets, should we not expect mistakes to lead to devastating
losses of value?

>   To uneducated morons like me, good is meaningful. Becoming co-creators places us
> besides the Creator by definition, and it's ultimate destiny because
> it's a good ultimate outcome.

A lot of ethical systems agree that doing good is meaningful (for
various reasons). But what the good is, and how to justify it, is more
divergent.

Is my nephew playing Minecraft a co-creator to "Notch" Persson? In a
sense, yes. Notch made the game for people to play and create in, yet he
has an ontological and moral status regarding the game that is more deep
than my nephew's, despite my nephew's creations and joy actually giving
the game meaning. (The theodice problem in Minecraft is so easy: why did
Notch create creepers? To make things exciting! But this kind of answer
does not carry over to our world, since here we have value-carrying
beings that actually have their value harmed by the real-world
counterparts of creepers)

Can you fail at destiny? The traditional idea is that destiny must
happen. But that does not imply a good ultimate outcome. If destiny is
something we are aiming at, then at most it is something to hope for,
not something we can put our faith in.

Yes, philosophers are annoying :-)

--
Anders Sandberg