[ExI] Zuckerberg just bought 26 days of world peace?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 23:13:04 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 8:59 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 8:21 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 5, 2015 1:14 PM, "William Flynn Wallace" <foozler83 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > ​Japan is experiencing a dearth of babies and a big excess of the
>> elderly. They are trying to support increased birth rates.  Where will they
>> live?  Underground?
>>
>> In the vast tracts of untouched land.  Those who believe we are running
>> out of room should take an honest look at Google Earth in satellite mode
>> zoomed out to show at least a full continent, until they realize why they
>> can't see most urban areas unless they're marked or zoomed in upon.
>>
>> > We really don't see much about population control lately, and to me
>> that's a big mistake.  We will eventually have to do it.  Why wait?
>>
>> I would like to see humanity some day number in the trillions, so that
>> those services that are hard to financially justify to mere billions may
>> come into service of humanity.  This vision includes expanding the
>> resources we are able to tap (likely including extraterrestrial resources),
>> to support that many in comfort.
>> ​OK, suppose I buy all that.  What will most of them, the vast majority,
>> do?

### Watch TV? Invent marvellous new stuff? Build nifty building? Just live
and let live?

There are limits to reasonable population growth, but we are still very far
from them. I am more concerned with the quality, not the quantity of
people. We need on average better humans, no matter if the total number is
less or more than today.

Rafał