[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 23:14:59 UTC 2015

On Dec 6, 2558 BE, at 2:43 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> ​Return to who? ​ ​With the exception of Antarctica and Greenland every square inch of land on the planet has been fought over hundreds of times,  ​and all the parties involved in those ancient conflicts are all long dead.
>>
>> Some of the land takings are much more recent and the federal government now controls the land. That can be returned where there's a clear owner. We don't have to trace this back for a hundred generations in those cases.
>
> ### I think that the government may not legitimately own land and indeed, all US government landholdings should be sold to the highest bidder. That includes spoils of war.

I agree that government may not legitimately hold land, though I would, where practicable, return land to its former owners (where these can be found) rather than sell it off.

Also, since government can't justly own it, then it can't really sell it. The only things that can be justly done here in my opinion is returning to former owners, offering as compensation to victims (of government), or allowing land to go back into an unowned state ready for someone to justly appropriate. (I would also stipulate that those in or working for the government be barred from obtaining any of this land because they are actually party to the takings. To allow them to make claims would be akin to allowing robbers to make claims over the loot -- in cases where the original owners of the loot can't be found.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst