[ExI] dna test, was: Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Dec 7 21:26:13 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dave Sill
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2015 12:27 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 3:05 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

There are over a million proles in AncestryDNA now, and it is growing at than 1% per week.  It's hard to say what all we will discover.

AncestryDNA seems like a subset of 23andme. Any way to correlate the two?

-Dave

Dave they are similar, but they have their specialties.  I have done both.  23andMe is better if you are doing the test for medical purposes.  They try to correlate shared segments with shared maladies.  I think the world of Anne Wojcecki and her team.

They settled up with the FDA for an undisclosed bribe or campaign contribution, and now they are back in business but now the tests cost 200 bucks instead of the 100 they were before when I did it.

Ponder the previous comment in your spare time please.

If you are in it for genealogy, then AncestryDNA is better and it only costs 100 bucks with occasional special promotions for 80, and one for 70 that expired over Thanksgiving.  I have bought about a dozen of these kits for relatives and now have a pile of people who have shared with me their cousin lists.  It’s fun.  Don’t do it if you suspect you might have children you don’t know about.  Or go ahead, if you want them to find you (I have had two relatives in that situation, and both were found by their long-lost offspring.)  There is a third choice, Family Tree DNA but I know little about that company.

Regarding your question is there any way to correlate the two: yes.  There is a service called DNAgedcom, but I haven’t been in that long enough to know the details.  It is a new service that allows you to download your AncestryDNA or 23andMe results as a .csv file, rather than the clumsy method I was using of downloading their HTML files and converting to Microsloth Unicode.  I am not really programmer, but I wanted this application enough that I ground my way through it and now have a cool script.