[ExI] Hive Mind: Anyone here read it?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 18:49:19 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 4:46 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 October 2015 at 19:43, Dan TheBookMan  wrote:
> > I see that he cites Lynn and Vanhanen in the index, but I've yet to read
> the
> > book -- or the work of Lynn and Vanhanen for that matter. :)
> >

> Scott Alexander has a detailed book review out and is pretty skeptical
> about the theme of the book.
> Also many comments after the review.
>
> <http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/12/08/book-review-hive-mind/>

### I don't think he makes a good point against the book. He uses a picked
example (South Africa and Japan) to make the difference between individual
and country IQs and incomes look smaller, and complains about the book not
dealing with the direction of causation between IQ and incomes. Neither
criticism is powerful - picking samples is a poor way of building an
argument and the direction of causation is covered in other publications.

Jones bent over-backwards to downplay the implications of his work for US
and European immigration, doubtless to avoid being Watsoned for telling
inconvenient truths but the data he provides speak for themselves.

Obviously, an IQ test should be the prime tool of any immigration policy
aimed at increasing general welfare. Pity the US Govt forbade IQ testing in
most situations.

Rafał