[ExI] ambiguously evil triplets, was: RE: [Bulk] Re: The list is in the timeline

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Dec 10 13:36:25 UTC 2015

Being an ethicist, I would of course stay away from good/evil and
instead think of triplets with incompatible moral systems. Alice is
doing Aristotelean virtue ethics, Betty is a Kantian deontologist, and
Carla is a Consequentialist. Sometimes they agree ("Stealing is wrong!")
but disagree on why ("Breaks a principle!" "Reduces utility!" "It is not
virtuous!"). Often they disagree ("Of course the doctor should sacrifice
the patient to get the organs! That will help several people." "Of
course not! Nobody would go to hospitals if that was a risk!" "Is the
doctor *skilled*?").

But I love the idea of different evaluations. Thanks Spike for the
simulations!

Giving yourself a 0 might correspond to a state of humility. Hmm, there
ought to be 12 basic cases: Carla can decide on 3 possibilities for
herself, given that 2 for Betty, Betty has 2 options for chooing her own
state, and that fixes Alice. So 3*2*2=12 cases. But we can flip good and
evil and expect the same behavior, so there are 6 core behaviors. Which
ones have we not seen?

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute