[ExI] The list is in the timeline and Religious Idiocy

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Dec 10 20:55:06 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-10 17:43, Keith Henson wrote:
> Re the list, L5 Society is mentioned as well.  It's kind of amusing
> how many of the transhuman causes I have been involved in.
I remember reading about you in Ed Regis "The Great Mambo Chicken" as a
teenager. I was very impressed.

If one just keep on doing interesting stuff one ends up in timelines.

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM,  John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ?Why is it OK to criticize somebody's beliefs about anything EXCEPT
>> religion no matter how brain dead dumb it is? Why does religion always get
>> a free pass?
> That's a really good question.  In this case, it is probably conflated
> with liberal quilt over the history of our culture dispossessing the
> natives.
There is also a fundamental problem with lack of tools for criticism.
How many can make a good theological argument these days? The problem is
that it is not enough to be good at pointing out theological problems,
the other part also has to be able to make a cogent argument, otherwise
it will just be an emotional response. So it is easier to stay away from
it (like politics and sex - not a good topic for the thanksgiving dinner).

I made some arguments here:
http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2014/08/freezing-critique-privileged-views-and-cryonics/
about why religious views on immortality get a free pass that cryonics
doesn't get.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute