[ExI] blasphemy again: was RE: Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 10 21:20:14 UTC 2015

>… On Behalf Of John Clark
Subject: Re: [ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com <mailto:foozler83 at gmail.com> > wrote:

​> ​>…We all might be on somebody's hit list if we go public with our opinions.

​>…If I'm on someone's hit list … I doubt that he's Amish.  John K Clark

This brings up an interesting question.  The US attorney general threatens to bring prosecution for anti- Amish rhetoric that edges toward violence.  If you make anti-Amish comments, then an Amish mob comes and attacks with military-grade weapons, but you survive, can you be prosecuted for inciting the violence?

If a religion says it is afraid of you, then hires a bunch of extra security to watch you, then uses the bills from their security service as evidence that you are dangerous, isn’t that kind of the same principle?  One buys the evidence against you with dollars, the other buys the evidence with bullets.

Suppose you suggested that the Mennonites are not the religion of peace.  Perhaps you said something unflattering about Jakob Ammann or drew a cartoon of Menno Simons.  Are you to blame for pissing off the Amish?

If you make disparaging comments towards a religion that does not respond with violence such as Pastafarian, then is that OK?  And if a religion does respond with violence, then is speaking out against that belief not OK and not covered under the first amendment?  So is it then the path to making blasphemy against one’s beliefs illegal as simple as murder?