[ExI] Theological arguments

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Dec 13 01:37:26 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2015 1:43 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Theological arguments

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 2:44 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> ] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 12:25 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com <mailto:johnkclark at gmail.com> > wrote:

…

​>…What is so difficult for me to understand is this:  we teach young children about the tooth fairy, Santa, Easter bunny…After all, they were lied to over and over.

bill w

BillK, the most religious parents do not teach their children about the Easter bunny, Santa or tooth fairy, none of it.  They don’t want the competition for their religion memes…spike

​>…That's billW please…

Oops ja, sorry.

>…  The very idea of not celebrating Xmas in every way - well, just no words for that…  I take it you were raised in a very different environment.  bill w​

Times change.  I may be wrong on this, but it feels to me like Santa Claus is a pale shadow of the importance now compared to my own misspent childhood.  In those benighted times, every strip mall had its own Santa character.  It is possible they still do in many places, but I don’t really see it much around here.  The local children are only vaguely familiar with the concept.  I don’t know if it is changing times or just this area.