[ExI] Property rights to the summit/was Re: Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 21:35:04 UTC 2015

On 14 December 2015 at 21:17, Will Steinberg  wrote:
> Right, but if that's because they thought it was a god, the idea of owning
> the land makes no sense.  Land certificates don't exist in the same realm as
> believing the land is a deity, maybe they thought the land owned them.
> Though I'm sure their culture understands the concept of conquering
> territory.  But in this case, even though they did have an implicit property
> rights system, it wouldn't have applied to the mountain.

Originally Hawaii land was all owned by the monarchy of Hawaii.
In 1893 the monarchy was overthrown, the Republic of Hawaii was formed
and the land became government property. In 1898 Hawaii officially
became a territory of the United States. Hawaii was admitted as a U.S.
state in 1959. Since Hawaii became a state the land arrangements have
become complicated. About 40% is still owned by the state.

Scientific American has a good explanation of the issues involved.

<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hawaii-s-telescope-controversy-is-the-latest-in-a-long-history-of-land-ownership-battles/>

Hawaii's Telescope Controversy Is the Latest in a Long History of
Land-Ownership Battles
By Shannon Hall on December 11, 2015