[ExI] Bee Watch

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 07:18:48 UTC 2015

On 16 December 2015 at 00:48, spike  wrote:
> Well ja, but I can imagine a big crowd-funding deal or research bucks being
> granted to set up a bunch of these to see what we can learn.  As scientific
> instruments go, this one is a bargain.  That power concern is perfectly
> valid, but I am envisioning a version of this which can run on battery
> power, perhaps a scaled-down version.

The project appears to be in the very early stages. The Kickstarter
program was only asking for 8,000 USD, which they have reached. The
website says they have a small 15 hive pilot project running and want
to expand to add another 30 hives.
At present they need a 120volt supply and a good Wifi signal for
uploading video, so they are aiming at backyard and rooftop hives.
They hope the price will come down if they reach mass production
levels.

As Dave says, the big boys have fields out in the country, far from
power lines and Wifi, so further development will be required to cater
for them.

Still, it's a hopeful start.

BillK