[ExI] Augmentations to Science /was Re: Drugs and creativity

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 17:27:11 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> I think there is a fundamental difference between insight and p-values.
> The first is about how to generate a hypothesis, the second about how to
> test it (after an experiment or observations ).
>
> In creativity there is both divergent thinking and convergent thinking -
> come up with new things, weed out the bad things,  and build the things for
> real. Some people are good at some steps, but not others. Boost the weak
> steps, and they become more creative. Psychedelics may help the first step
> or even cause a transvaluation that enables new ways of evaluation. But
> other tools exist for other steps. Being meta enough to figure out which
> ones need boosting is also a skill.
>
> P-values for all their faults is an example of a tool that helped the
> scientific creative process. There are many more, like bayesian methods,
> for that step. Maybe we need more metascience to evaluate where we need
> more tools for our projects.
>

> Sent from Samsung tablet

​I know one thing for sure we don't need:  to return to the discredited (
in psychology, anyway) method of introspection.  Anders has it right:  get
insights or epiphanies any way you want to, then subject them to empirical
experiment.  Subjective 'truth' just has no place in science.  Sorry.

Bill w  (Max, in no way shape or form did I mean to patronize you)​