[ExI] space-x sticks the landing

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Dec 22 15:47:37 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Anders Sandberg
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 12:12 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] space-x sticks the landing

On 2015-12-22 07:30, spike wrote:

The wicked coolness is around 32 minutes and following.  Tail first landings
are soooo cool, I just love em.

>.Beautiful.

>.In the pictures it looks like the vehicle came in from the sea side, which
makes sense from a safety perspective, but I can't figure out the orbital
mechanics.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute

All payloads to orbit would need to be fired eastward, but the landing
sequence we saw is the endgame.  There was time to bring the eastward
velocity to zero and start back westward (or any other direction) without a
significant weight penalty.  It makes sense to do it that way, so if the
thrusters or anything else fails during the landing sequence, the bird
overshoots the landing site and drops into the sea rather than some
litigious prole's back yard.

As for deceleration, the atmosphere does most of the work for us.  For the
very first time in launcher history, air is our friend.