[ExI] space-x sticks the landing

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Dec 23 23:56:38 UTC 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Keith Henson

>...If not, any thoughts on... and how far apart the launch pads would have
to be to prevent one exploding from setting off a chain reaction?

Keith, there are unused launch pads all over the place out there on Cape
Canaveral.  They intentionally put them far enough apart back in the days
when they envisioned that site being the world's spaceport or the launching
site for Armageddon, whichever came first.

>...They have to be right on the equator to avoid plane change reduction in
payload...

Yes however there are advantages to giving away the 50 meters per second
eastward velocity to have your site up at good old 27 degrees latitude,
where there are workers eager and ready to go, many of them with experience
and no desire to live in South America.

>...I know Musk is utterly down on power satellites...Keith

His attitude will change if those turn out to be his main customer base.
Businessmen are nice to those sorts, even if they don't agree with what the
customers are building.