[ExI] taxonomy for fermi paradox fans:

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 04:07:29 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 2:51 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is because ET *thinks* a million times faster than us. But chemical
> reactions still take the same time. If it takes a subjective 10,000
> years to do one spot-weld, then you are not going to do many.

### If it takes a subjective 10,000 years to do a spot weld, and if you
need a spot weld, you will fork a copy running at just the right speed to
do it, and wildly in love with spot welding.

Bill, the essence of your argument in the context of the Fermi paradox is
that high-speed cognition is inherently so unstable that it always prevents
real-world actions to be completed. As soon as you speed up a mind, looking
at it from a normal human vantage point, it goes crazy and stops acting or
speaking. Ennui and end-of-life burnout at the blink of an eye, always and
for every possible mind. This is a highly implausible idea, equivalent to
saying that high level superhuman intelligence is in principle impossible.

> Humans are finding the same thing already. It is far easier (and
> safer) to make a virtual reality SF world than actually build physical
> stuff to go to Mars. (World of Warcraft?).

### WoW is losing subscribers. Not everybody sees value in wanking forever.

BTW, most of my characters are on level 96 or higher now, in only 3 months
all of them will be at level 100. Then I can lapse my subscription until
the next expansion.

Wanking is fun but only intermittently.

Rafał