[ExI] musings on teaching

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 02:54:53 UTC 2015

On Feb 10, 2015 4:40 PM, "William Flynn Wallace" <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> *  In an intro course once I got bored and starting deviating from the
book and from the principles etc. that I was supposed to be teaching.  I
got crazier and crazier for about 15 minutes before one very hesitant girl
raised her hand and asked if I was really sure about that last thing.  I
said that for 15 minutes I had been shoveling bullshit. I told the very
angry class that they had to be able to recognize bullshit as part of their
essential education and they just had a taste of it.  Still weren't too
thrilled at being duped.  Who is?

I had an elementary school teacher burn a half-day in December while we
wrote heartfelt letters to the Mince farmer asking him to spare the poor
creatures rather than turning their meat into pies.  It was only after
collecting this "assignment" that the teacher shared the truth about
mincemeat.  That was the last time I ever completely trusted a teacher.  I
don't remember her,  but it was a good lesson.  :)